This week Creative Caribbean Cooking is visited by Chef Maurice of Wish Willy’s Bar & Grill in Caye Caulker. His dish didn’t last longer than 5 minutes after the cameras were turned off.
Chicken w/ White Wine & Mango Sauce
3tbsp olive oil
4boneless chicken breasts (skinned)
1 red onion
2tbsp green pest 1 ¼ cup dry white wine
1¼ cup water
2 medium ripe mangoes
2tbsp butter or cream
Salt and ground black pepper
Fresh basil leaves to garnish
1. Heat 2tbsp of love oil in frying pan; add the chicken breasts and sauté over a medium heat for about 5 minutes (until they have changed color on all sides.) Remove the breasts and drain on the kitchen paper.
2. Cut the onions in half, through the root, and slice them lengthways to create thin wedges.
3. Heat the remaining oil in the pan, adds the onion and pesto, and cook gently, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes, until the onions is softened but not browned.
4. Ad the white wine and water and bring to the boil, stirring all the time. Then return the chicken and add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Reduce the heat cover the pan and simmer gently for 20 minutes or until the chicken is tender, stirring occasionally to stop sticking to the bottom of the pan.
6. Peel the mango and cut ½ inches pieces, add the mango to the chicken. Cook for 1-2 minutes more and if necessary add more salt and pepper. Add the butter to thicken the sauce a little bit.
7. Serve hot, garnished with fresh basil leaves.